Thursday, March 25, 2010

Moment of Truth

Here it is: the moment when Oklahoma gardeners survey what plants died, thrived, or hung on during our extraordinary winter.

I stepped out this morning to take a peek at the patch of old fashioned garden I've created in a tiny oasis of afternoon shade. Happy surprise! After years of planting violets supposedly hardy in zone 5, Oasis plants in Stillwater promised me this one would be different. And there it is, the tiny green deck-of-cards club shaped leaves, breaking dormancy.

White violets. Emily Dickinson would be so pleased. Continuing the theme, the gooseberries, elderberries and currants survived, as well.

The garden's bordered by small patio covered by a porch and ceiling fan. (To stay cool and, though it's sadly prosaic, to blow bugs away. This is Oklahoma.) Though it's in a semi-private area outside the residence, guests who have a yen to read Jane Austen in an appropriate setting are welcome to use it.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, violets, you are so right, their demure beauty brings a (welcome) moment of gentle charm to our rugged prairie. Put on the kettle and get out the lace doilies, Ms. Austen and I are on the way (. . . I wish).

    Jennie

    P.S. I didn't know you were in need of violets. A couple transplants from Virginia have colonized my front yard. If you like, I'll pot some up for you and bring them on my next visit. -- jp

    P.P.S. A picture of the little beauties, please?

    ReplyDelete