Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Seriously. The Dancing Bean Ranch.


I finished graduate school and moved to Seattle so many years ago that we still wrote letters to each other. I came home one rainy Seattle night to find a delightful surprise in my mailbox: a letter from Chris Knop (Kallenberger), now beginning her career at Philbrook Art Museum in Tulsa. Looking forward to one of her always witty letters, instead I read two pages of complaints. Mostly, she hated winter. Belying her gloomy tone, however, she'd drawn beans, complete with jazz arms and legs, boogying across the page.

That letter was a keeper. I always had the feeling that someday I was going to do something with those dancing beans.

(That's a current photo of Chris, by the way, with her sock monkey scarecrow.)

No comments:

Post a Comment